Information for international students - HTW Chur

International studies
Information for international students
Exchange students

Exchange students

Students from partner Universities are invited to spend an exchange semester or an entire academic year studying at HTW Chur.

Free-mover students whose home universities do not have an exchange agreement with HTW Chur are also welcome to study with us. Free movers pay tuition fees of CHF 1550 per semester.

Application info

Application deadline

Autumn semester: 15 May 2019
Spring semester: 15 November 2019

Step 1 - Application
Partner universities nominate students by email and provide the following information:

  • name of student
  • study programme at HTW Chur
  • e-mail
  • age
  • nationality

Step 2 - Nomination
Students e-mail their application documents to:

Step 3 – Next steps

  • HTW reviews the application dossier, gives feedback about the provisional learning agreement and sends students an official letter of acceptance.
  • Students are sent information about housing and are requested to send several documents for their visa and residence permit application.
  • Students are allocated a Swiss “buddy” to help them with any questions about living and studying in Chur.
  • The International Office sends information about the mandatory “welcome days” which take place two days before the start of the semester.

Courses for incoming students

HTW Chur teaches Tourism at bachelor’s and master’s level in English. All other study programmes at HTW Chur are taught in German.

Please refer to the list of courses available to incoming exchange students.

Language requirements

For study programmes taught in English, the required minimum language level is B2. For programmes taught in German, the required language level is C1.

EU/EFTA nationals can either provide a language diploma or their language tutor can confirm their level using a language assessment form.

Non-EU nationals are required to submit an official language diploma for visa application purposes. The following language diplomas are recognised:

  • English: IELTS/TOEFL/FCE/CAE/BEC Vantage/BEC Higher
  • German: DSH Level 3/Goethe-Zertifikat C1

Semester dates

Autumn semester: 16 September 2019 to 7 February 2020
Spring semester: 17 February 2020 to 5 July 2020
Orientation days: two days before the start of the semester

Please find the detailed semester dates in our academic calendar.

Mobility grants

Exchange students from HTW Chur’s European Erasmus+ partner universities are given a mobility grant funded by the Swiss-European Mobility Programme:

FI, UK = CHF 1900 per semester

AT, DE, ES, FR, IT, LT, NL, RO = CHF 2200 per semester

Exchange students from partner universities outside of the European Union are provided with a mobility grant funded by the HTW Chur. For the academic year 2018/19 this amount is CHF 1 000 per student.

Degree students

Degree students

International degree-seeking students can complete their entire bachelor’s or master’s studies at HTW Chur.

HTW Chur teaches Tourism in English at bachelor's and master's level. All other degree programmes at HTW Chur are taught in German.

To find out about the specific admission requirements, prospective students should refer to the respective web page of the study programme. Applicants with foreign university entrance qualifications should contact the admissions team of the respective study programme for advice about recognition.

The international office offers advice on non-academic issues.



Residence permit

International students are required to have a residence permit for the duration of their studies in Switzerland. The International Office contacts students prior to their arrival in Switzerland to request supporting documents and applies for the residence permit on their behalf. Students are responsible for the annual renewal of the residence permit.

Foreign nationals, who already live in Switzerland and have a valid Swiss residence permit for purposes other than studying, are requested to send a copy of the permit to the International Office prior to the start of their studies.


Non-EU/EFTA nationals need a student visa to enter Switzerland. Students must be at least 18 and no more than 30 years old before the start of their studies. Language certification, proof of financial means and other supporting documents are required for visa application. HTW Chur submits an application to the cantonal migration authorities and the student applies at the Swiss consulate abroad. Students should refer to the website of the Swiss Embassy/Consulate for country-specific visa requirements.



Student residence “Scalära”

HTW Chur has an agreement with the student residence “Scalära” and rents out a limited number of rooms to international students. The rent per semester (five months) is CHF 3633. Included in this fee are half board and all utility costs. Contact the international office concerning availability.


Shared flats

Students can search for a room in a shared flat via the HTW accommodation platform (in German).

The International Office can put international students in touch with outgoing exchange students, who rent out furnished rooms in shared flats for one semester. Contact the international office about availability.


Private flats

Students looking for their own private flat can refer to the following websites:


For further accommodation options in Chur, consult the housing list.



Health and accident insurance

It is compulsory for all residents in Switzerland to have basic health and accident insurance coverage according to the Swiss KVG Health Insurance Act.

Students can request HTW Chur to set up an insurance policy on their behalf or can find their own Swiss health insurance company. To compare monthly premiums and different insurance companies, students can refer to the following websites:


Foreign students who have a foreign health insurance policy that meets the same Swiss basic legal KVG requirements may be eligible for exemption.

Residents of EU/EFTA countries who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) must submit a copy of their valid EHIC card when applying for exemption. Students with private insurance providers must give details of their policy and an exemption form signed by the foreign insurance company. The application for exemption is evaluated by local municipal authorities on arrival in Switzerland and is not guaranteed.

There are private insurance companies offering cheaper insurance packages for international students. Most of those insurance companies are not recognised in the canton of Graubünden. The insurance company SWISSCARE offers a student pass insurance package, which is currently recognised in the canton of Graubünden.


Personal liability insurance

If you cause damage or loss to a third party (intentionally or unwittingly) you can be held liable for compensation claims.

It is therefore strongly recommended that students take out personal liability insurance.

What is personal liability insurance and how does it work? Students should refer to the website to get further information about it.

The comparison website offers quotes for personal liability insurance.


Living and Working

Living and Working

Living Costs

Students should reckon on needing about CHF 2000 per month. This estimate very much depends on their lifestyle.

For a more detailed estimate of living costs students can refer to the website (in German, French or Italian):


Working in Switzerland

EU/EFTA nationals are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week and full time during the semester breaks. An additional authorisation letter from the cantonal migration authorities is required, which is applied for by the employer.

Non-EU/EFTA nationals are not permitted to work in Switzerland.

'If I could choose a place to go on an exchange again, why not Chur? The food, the nature and the...
'If I could choose a place to go on an exchange again, why not Chur? The food, the nature and the great people will always be missed.'
Selah Lee, Incoming student,


Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft HTW Chur
International Office
Comercialstrasse 24
(Office F0.02)
CH-7000 Chur

Opening hours International Office

Monday to Friday: 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
Afternoons: by appointment

International Student Guide