Study abroad - HTW Chur

International studies
Study abroad

Exchange programme

Studying abroad is an invaluable experience. During your studies at HTW Chur you have the possibility of spending a semester abroad at one of our partner universities or at the university of your choice as a ‘free mover’.

Discovering a new culture, learning a foreign language, experiencing a different study environment and gaining intercultural and social competences are just some of the numerous benefits to be gained from a semester abroad. Make the most of this fantastic opportunity and leave your comfort zone behind you.

HTW Chur recognises courses taken at partner universities which are agreed upon prior to the semester abroad in a 'learning agreement'.


Exchanges in the EU

The Swiss-European Mobility Programme (SEMP) is the Swiss programme for Erasmus+. Spend one semester or an entire academic year studying at one of HTW Chur’s European partner institutions. During your semester abroad, you will remain enrolled at HTW Chur and do not have to pay tuition fees at the partner institution. You will receive a mobility grant, funded by Movetia, the National Agency for Exchange and Mobility. In the academic year 2018/2019, the amount is CHF 1600 for five months or CHF 3200 for ten months.


Exchanges outside the EU

For students enrolled in the Tourism and Service Design bachelor’s degree programmes, HTW Chur has several bilateral exchange agreements with partner universities outside of the EU.

During your semester abroad, you remain enrolled at HTW Chur and do not have to pay tuition fees at the receiving institution. No mobility grants are available for exchanges outside of the EU.


If you want to study at a university that does not have an exchange agreement with HTW Chur, you can organise the semester abroad yourself. So-called 'free movers' pay tuition fees at the host institution but do not pay HTW Chur fees during their studies abroad.

As a free mover you need to request permission from your study programme at HTW Chur. HTW Chur recognises courses taken at foreign universities which are agreed upon prior to the semester abroad in a learning agreement.

Double Degree

HTW Chur has a 'double-degree' agreement with the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) in Australia for students enrolled in the bachelor’s degree programme in Tourism.

Each year, five students get the opportunity to spend their second year studying abroad at USC (under special conditions) and, if they pass all the exams, they will be eligible for degree titles from both institutions. Double-degree students pay the tuition fees at USC during their year abroad and are exempt from HTW Chur fees during that period.

IAESTE internships

HTW Chur is a member of the IAESTE organisation – International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience.

If you are enrolled on one of HTW Chur’s technical or business study programmes you can apply for an internship abroad, which will take place during the semester holidays or after finishing your studies (within 12 months after graduation). HTW Chur does not award ECTS credits for internships abroad unless it is a mandatory part of your curricula.

Partner universities

HTW Chur has a network of over 45 partner universities in Europe and overseas. Exchange agreements are specific to each study programme, so where you can go abroad depends on what subject you are studying at HTW Chur.

Exchange places are competitive and there is no guarantee that you will be offered a place on the exchange programme. However, there is always the option of organising your own semester abroad at a university of your choice as a free mover.

Application and advice

The International Office coordinates the exchange programmes. We advise students about their options abroad, guide them through the application process and offer organisational support during the semester abroad.

Each year in November, the International Office organises information events for students who are interested in studying abroad in the following academic year.

You can find more information about the application process and selection requirements on Moodle.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re happy to help you!


Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft HTW Chur
International Office
Comercialstrasse 24
(Office F0.02)
CH-7000 Chur

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 8.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.
Afternoons by appointment